Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Party's Over




On New Year's Eve, I went to the University Cafe to change my window display from a Christmas Theme to a New Year's Party Theme. By the time I was done, there was a real party going on in there, including a new banner, confetti and party hats.

I added four new pieces to the window as well. This little guy is my First Night Baby. He is ready to welcome the new year with his tiny lantern:



I also added my New Year baby:


and Electrolux baby had a spiffy new top hat:

Yesterday, the restaurant was closed for a manager's meeting, and I was there with other members of the Mixed Media Experience to hang work inside the restaurant. At the end of the manager's meeting, we were informed that the University Cafe was closed. Permanently. Effective Immediately. We were asked to remove our artwork, and by the time we had the cars loaded, the locks were being changed on the doors.

So, the party was over, just like that. The cafe, which had been open for less than a year, just wasn't making enough money. My heart goes out to all of the employees, who were shell-shocked, gathered in the parking lot when I left. I lost a venue to show my work, but they lost their source of income and the stability that comes with it.  I sincerely hope that they can find new employment in such a tough economy, and wish them the best of luck in their new endeavors.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well! your new pieces are wonderful!! If you hadn't had a deadline they would not have been made by now and ready to show, so there are some good aspects, but what a bummer!!! I am so sorry that they ahd to close!! The atmosphere was wonderful and comfortable but perhaps too many folks were hanging out and not buying?? Sorry to see them go for you and for all of us who love downtown Fredericksburg!!!

Things will get better and you did get a very good spot for the month of December and I would bet that you will get some interest from that showing!!
Chin up!!
Hugs!
E

Elizabeth said...

P.S I lvoe Love New Years Baby with his lantern and fat clock belly!!!