Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Monday, December 21, 2009
I looked for cardinal ornaments all year. In the beginning, I didn't have much luck. In August, I found a cardinal and poinsetta tree skirt (unused!) at a yard sale. Things started picking up from there. About a week before the tree was due, I hit the mother lode and was able to complete my tree.
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
This is "Seed Sower", one of the pieces that I submitted. It is a mixed media art quilt, in a three-dimensional frame. Can you guess what the frame is made of?
The bottom of the quilt is made from an antique seed sack that was attached to a machine called the Cyclone Seed Sower. I would like to do another piece called "Cyclone" that features a boy penny doll.
Here is a closeup of the top. I finally decided to use two of my bakelite bird buttons. I've had them for several years, but hadn't found the right piece to put them in until now.
This beaded rivoli necklace is also at FCCA. I love making the beaded bezels for the rivoli. It's so satisfying when you have the rivoli snugged in its setting.
I beaded the necklace part, too and finished it with an antique steel-cut button. I am being very brave about digging into my button stash these days.
I apologize for the spacing issues. If anyone wants to let me know how to lay out my pictures and text so that they align properly, I'd be grateful.
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Little Clara was naked when I got her, so I decided she had to have some clothing for her big debut on the fire truck. I found a vintage handkerchief with a holly embroidered on it and went to town. Deck the dolls with altered hankies, fa la la la la la la la la. (Isn't that how it goes?)
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Monday, November 16, 2009
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
The recording will be available for sale next week. I can't wait for my copy to come! If you'd like to find out more about Tony and his music, visit www.Mirrormorning.com.
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
They love to go out and run in the leaves. Sometimes they blend in so well that it's hard to see them when I first look out into the yard!
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Then I scrubbed on some "altered orange" with a dry brush. The canvas picks up the brush strokes really nicely. I mixed some "classic teal" with the "dab of yellow" and put in highlights around the fence and at the bottom.
I used the "altered orange" on a circle stamp for the moon image. Then, I used multi-medium to glue on a piece of bat-shaped confetti. I painted the inside of the box, and used an extra piece of the canvas for lining. The sticker inside says, "Happy Halloween".
Monday, October 5, 2009
I found this at a yard sale for $1.00. My husband couldn't believe that I wanted it. I added a few embellishments from the Halloween aisle at the drug store, and filled in the areas underneath to blend everything together.
Once I had everything in position, I painted everything with black gesso and then with black acrylic paint to unify the elements.
It was looking a little creepy, but not believable enough, so I went over all the high spots with interference gold to make them stand out.
I used Photoshopto altere an image from a Victorian cabinet card, adding in a bat brooch, and emphasizing the bat-like collar that the woman in the picture was wearing.
I removed the original velvet from the frame and replaced it with a collage of antique onion-skin paper that had spider webs embossed in it. This is the final result. Woo! Scary kids!