Monday, December 21, 2009

Holiday Snow! Leslie Brier - snowed-in artist!

It's just beautiful here in Virginia. We had a blizzard that blew in Friday night, and left us with about two feet of snow on the ground by Saturday afternoon. It felt so good to know that we were all safe and sound and had nowhere to go!
Bordeaux loves being outside. She doesn't mind that the snow is up to her shoulders. Everytime she comes in, she is just covered in snow. Merlot prefers to be inside, like me.
This is the Christmas Tree I did for the Festival of Trees. This is an annual event held to benefit Hope House, a women's and children's shelter that helps them to break the cycle of homelessness.
I found some cardinal light covers at a thrift store about a year ago, and decided on a cardinal theme for my tree.



I looked for cardinal ornaments all year. In the beginning, I didn't have much luck. In August, I found a cardinal and poinsetta tree skirt (unused!) at a yard sale. Things started picking up from there. About a week before the tree was due, I hit the mother lode and was able to complete my tree.


My tree was called "Winter in Virginia". Had I known how snowy it was going to be this year, there would have been a lot more white on the tree!
I don't know who bought my tree, but I want to thank that person and everyone who bid on it for their contribution to Hope House. And thank you to the judges for awarding it "Best Small Tree"
Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations on the award for your tree!! That is so cool!! all that Thrift store hunting and collecting that you HAD TO FORCE YOURSELF to do really paid off!! It was a wonderful entry!! i am going to propose that the Fiber Artists Guild submit a tree for next year. We need to be doing alot more community service!!!
So glad that your tree was really appreciated!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth