Saturday, October 2, 2010

Felted Punkmen

When my newphew was little, he called pumpkins "punkmen". I was thinking about that this weekend when I stitched together these little creatures. Their bodies are felted balls. They're embellished with stitching, ribbons, beads and other little doo-dads that I had in my Halloween box.
 They make me smile when I look at them. These are going to be mailed to some special people this week. I think I'm going to have to make some more, though. They were so much fun to do!

I also created some more of the large pumpkins that were featured in my article, "Paper or Plaster? A Very Vintage Halloween Makeover" in the September/October issue of Cloth, Paper, Scissors. Some will be going into my etsy shop, and others will be going to local stores for sale.

I made a bunch of little ones that are currently for sale at the emporium in LibertyTown in Fredericksburg, Virginia.


This was my original display idea, but my family vetoed it. They said it was too creepy. Imagine that!



This is how the final display looked. More cute. Less creepy.


 And, I finished off my robot that I posted a week or two ago. He is a little more streamlined than he was originally. He also has a spiffy new paint job. (I didn't cover up all of the peeling paint, though. I liked it.) My daughter named him Waldo. He is currently on display at LibertyTown's 6x6x6 Show. When I went to see him at the opening last night, he had a red dot on his tag, and had won third place in the show. Good job Waldo!


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

These little Punkmen are adorable!! What did you use for the heads??? I love their ruffled collars!!! Good call by the family- dolly head display is a bit creepy and I GET you!!!
WALDO is fabulous and I am not at all surprised that he sold or won 3rd palce!! WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!

Tara Powell said...

The babydoll head is right up my alley! I love all things macabre :)
I got my issue of cloth paper scissors and can't wait to give a makeover to my plastic pumpkins
Have a great day!
:)
Tara