Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Reach!

I've been so busy creating, that I haven't taken the time to post in a while. I was reading Pamela Jane's blog where she talked about the idea of having a word for the year. After some deliberation, I decided that mine is "reach". I chose this word because to me it implies moving in a forward or upward direction. I feel like I spend a lot of time meandering, and that a map of the direction I've taken in the last few years would look like the cartoon of "Where Little Billy Went" from the old Family Circus cartoons.

So, I thought that showing some of my altered hands would be a good visual to go along with my theme. My friend Jolie has acquired a huge stash of these amazing porcelain glove forms, left from a factory that used to produce latex gloves. We have had a wonderful time altering them. Lately, I've been adding a plate or dish to the bottom, for stability, and also to hold earrings, paper clips, etc. to make the piece more functional as well.
Shown are two beach-themed hands, and one that is covered in images from an old copy of Gray's Anatomy. Let me know if you need some of your own, and I can put you in touch with Jolie. We'll also be selling them at Vendor Night at Art & Soul Hampton this year.


2 comments:

~*~Patty S said...

Oh how fab, each one is excellent! Love these, my fav is the Gray's Anatomy, even the "plate" at the bottom is decorated! I would Love to have one or two depending on the price. I just happen to have a 'thing' for hands ;)

Elizabeth said...

Hi Leslie!
love these hands!! We should meet for luch sometime in the 'burg!!! I would love to talk with your friend about purchasing a couple of hands!! Iwill be at Art and Soul Vendor night as well with my friend Judy gula of Artistic Artifacts in Alexandria- DO you know of this place yet?? We have amonthly art group tha I think that you would really enjoy!! We need to chat!
hugs!
Elizabeth